As we creep into the darker and colder months of winter, it’s even more essential to remember the importance of prioritizing our social wellbeing. Social health may be more important than we’ve previously realized as it impacts every sphere of our lives including physical health, especially as we age. Joining clubs, sharing meals, and working out in groups are all great ways to invite social well-being into our lives. Investing time and energy into our social health has been found to help:
- Prevent and mitigate symptoms of depression
- Improve social skills
- Improve cognitive function
- Support an overall positive attitude
- Enhance self-esteem
- Develop connections to peer groups, which help reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Support an overall happier and healthier lifestyle for a better quality of life
- Lessen chronic pain
- Delay and prevent certain diseases as well as help you recover faster from illness or injury
- Social health has been shown to help boost immune system function
- Encourage restful sleep. Research shows that people who have more fulfilling relationships in their lives tend to sleep better than those who don’t.
How to Support Your Social Well-Being
Staying socially active and connecting with others may be daunting if you don’t know where to begin. Luckily, there are many places to start your social well-being journey:
Join a Fitness Center
Even if a regular gym seems a little too intimidating, consider trying out a fitness center specifically for seniors or one of the many fun weekly fitness classes happening in the red barn. This is a great place to meet other members of your community who are dedicated to staying socially and physically healthy.
Become a Volunteer
Volunteering with and for your community members provides a sense of accomplishment and purpose. Many animal shelters, schools, community centers, andfarms are always looking for reliable volunteers of all ages. Get your dirt therapy!
Stay Up to Date on Community Events
There are so many things happening within and around Chickahominy Falls! Check out current events here.