Helpful Tips to Pare Down your Stuff
You’ve decided it’s the right time to right size your life, congratulations! Children are gone, don’t need that big house or want to do all that yard work, and ready for some “me” time and adventure! You are about to begin one of your greatest adventures yet. The smart choice of moving into a low maintenance Cornerstone home in beautiful Virginia gives you every opportunity to explore your passions, live leisurely, and meet some of your very new best friends.
We want to talk about simplifying your life. In other words, right sizing your belongings. Remember, stuff is just stuff. Objects don’t define us. Objects are just tools. We don’t really own anything, we simply use if for a time and then move on. Letting go of stuff can be so freeing. It’s kind of like getting into shape. Takes time and hard work, but you’ll feel a lot better when you are done. And, most important, it will free you to focus on what is really important to you. Being stuck inside right now, it is the perfect time to start going through your stuff!!!
At Cornerstone Homes, we’ve thought of everything that makes this process easy and virtually painless. We call it our “Cornerstone Concierge Program”. This program consists of helping you sell your home, right size, move, and secure financing. We partner and offer the services of Home Matters of Virginia‘s Alyson Pedlow, Moving Specialist. She will assist you in every aspect of your move: Sort, declutter, remove, sell items, pack, coordinate move, unpack, and even make your bed so you can step right into your new home ready to go! Alyson’s team will provide exceptional personal service and value!
It’s never too early to start decluttering. Less stuff means less work and more time! We’ve put together some tips to get you started.
- One room at a time. Start small and work on one room. You will be amazed at the quick progress and be motivated to continue on.
- Two questions: Do I need it? Why do I have it?
- Make definitive decisions. Decide what goes, what stays. Those “maybe” piles can sometimes create more work. William Morris really got the essence of decluttering. It is commonly quoted like this: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
- Emotional ties are normal. This is part of the process but remember you don’t have to get rid of everything. Hand down precious items to your children and grandchildren. Keep what you love.
- Go Digital. Photos, cards, scrapbooks and more can be scanned on to your computer or an external hard drive. Takes up less space and will be safe. Who knows, you may learn more computer skills in the meantime!
So you see, in no time you can be living in an active lifestyle environment, in a finely crafted home with no worries of yard work, located in an exceptional neighborhood with incredible private amenities, surrounded by great friends, and time to do the things you love. The life you deserve. Don’t wait for someday. Your someday is now.
Visit one of these Virginia communities now: The Grove at Lucks Lane in Chesterfield, The Cove at Magnolia Lakes in Chester, Chickahominy Falls in Hanover County, and Barley Woods in Fredericksburg. Be sure to check our move in sooner homes so you can get what you want now!