We all tend to call this time, “the most wonderful time of the year”, but it’s often easy for us to forget that for a lot of people and families in our own community, it is not. While we all may be rushing around to make sure we get our grandchildren the right color bicycle, it’s easy to forget those who may not be so fortunate. It’s important to remember that many families and children go without gifts during the holiday season, and sometimes even without a hot meal or a warm place to sleep. It’s easy to fall victim to the commercial nature of the holiday season. However, the true spirit of the holiday comes from giving back, giving thanks, and lending a helping hand to those in need.
This year, Cornerstone Homes decided to partner with the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation in Richmond and Fredericksburg to make a difference in our communities.
Homeowners in each Cornerstone Homes community in Richmond, Hanover and Fredericksburg, as well as the employees at the Corporate office, really stepped up to the plate this year and donated an overwhelming number of toys for the 2019 Marine Toys for Tots Campaign. Last year close to 25,000 toys were distributed to Richmond area children and 107,000 to the Fredericksburg area. We are proud to be part of this giving organization this year and hope the 2019 donations are bigger than last year! A big thank you to all our homeowners and employees that contributed to this worthy cause.
Here are a few Toys for Tots Fun Facts:
– 2018 marked the 71st anniversary of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program
– Marines and volunteers distributed 18.5 million toys to 7 million children in 2018
– Conducted 805 local campaigns in all 50 states, DC, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam
– 2018 Holiday Campaign received help from over 37,000 volunteers October – December
– The Toys for Tots Native American Program supported over 150,000 children from 60 reservations in 10 different states
– The Toys for Tots Literacy Program distributed over 1.2 million children’s books helping to increase literacy and break the cycle of poverty
– Maintained a charity-enviable 97:3 Program to Support Expense ratio
– Marine Toys for Tots is an accredited Charity and Seal Holder of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance
– Marine Toys for Tots holds a 4-Star rating on Charity Navigator
– Walt Disney was the Toys for Tots logo creator
– The Toys for Tots website saw 16.5 million page views between October – December – Since 1947, Toys for Tots has delivered hope to 258 million children
From all of us at Cornerstone Homes, we wish you and yours a Happy Holiday Season!